03/09/2015 7:57 PM
Photo by Elliott Hess | UK Athletics
It was another exciting week in college baseball and former and 2015 PGCBL players were in the middle of some of the most exciting action. Here’s this week’s rundown:
To recap: Each week three PGCBL players, mostly alumni, will be featured in a weekly post recapping their performances in college. The post will also include notes on other PGCBL players.
Zack Brown-University of Kentucky (Amsterdam 2014)
Zack Brown tossed a complete-game shutout, only allowing two hits and striking out a career-high 11 batters, leading Kentucky to a win over Northern Kentucky on Saturday.
The complete-game shutout was Kentucky’s first since former Mohawk Dylan Dwyer threw one for Kentucky in 2014. Brown is now 1-1 on the season with a 1.74 ERA, which is lowest on the Wildcats. Opponents are hitting just .182 off the right-hander.
During the summer of 2014, Brown went 3-2 for the PGCBL champion Mohawks. Brown posted a 3.75 ERA and struck out 34 batters in eight appearances.
Donald Frew-Young Harris (Newark 2013)
Donald Frew had his best outing of the season to-date this weekend.
Frew, who played for Newark during the 2013 summer, tossed eight innings, allowing two unearned runs while striking out six batters in Young Harris’s 8-2 win over GRU Augusta on Sunday. Frew scattered four hits across the eight innings in picking up his first win of the 2015 season.
During the 2013 summer with Newark, the Duluth, Georgia native made 18 appearances and posted a 2.50 ERA, third-lowest among Newark qualifiers. Frew also accumulated 10 saves on the summer.
Ryan Dorow-Adrian (Adirondack 2015)
Ryan Dorow was one of two PGCBL players to have three home runs this weekend, the other being former Newark Pilot Zach Wall (more below).
Dorow clubbed two home runs on Saturday in a 2-for-5 day with three RBIs for Adrian against Transylvania. Dorow also went 3-for-4 with a home run against Anderson on Sunday. Dorow is now hitting .357 on the season for Adrian and the three home runs were his first of the season. His OPS is now 1.114.
Dorow is set to play for the Adirondack Trail Blazers this summer, the fourth year the franchise will be in the PGCBL.
- Gage West (Amsterdam 2015) went 2-for-2 with three RBIs and a walk on Sunday for Florida State against Boston College.
- Drew Carlton (Amsterdam 2015) tossed five innings, allowing no earned runs and striking out five in picking up his first win of the season on Tuesday for Florida State against South Florida.
- John Sansone (Amsterdam 2013) hit a three-run home run on Tuesday for Florida State against South Florida.
- Josh Gardiner (Amsterdam 2013,2014) totaled eight hits on the week. Gardiner went 4-for-6 with a stolen base for Radford on Sunday against Charleston and also tallied another multi-hit game on Saturday, going 3-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Connor Johnstone (Amsterdam 2014) tossed five scoreless innings for Wake Forest this week, including two scoreless on Sunday against Virginia Tech, earning him his first win of the season.
- Craig Dedelow (Amsterdam 2015) went 2-for-4 with two RBIs on Sunday for Indiana and also went 3-for-4 on Friday against Villanova.
- Dorian Hairston (Newark 2014) went 3-for-3 with an RBI on Sunday for Kentucky.
- Zach Logue (Amsterdam 2015) tossed 6.2 innings, allowing one run and striking out seven in his first win of the season on Tuesday for Kentucky.
- Riley Mahan (Amsterdam 2015) hit .368 during the week with six runs, two doubles and three RBIs and earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors.
- Thomas Hackimer (Amsterdam 2014) tossed three scoreless innings with four strikeouts on Friday for St. John’s against Oregon.
- Justin Korenblatt (Adirondack 2014) went 3-for-4 with four runs scored, two RBIs, two walks and a home run on Sunday for La Salle against UNC Asheville.
- Mark Williams (Adirondack 2014) went 2-for-5 with a home run on Sunday for La Salle and went 3-for-6 with three runs scored and a home run on Friday.
- Chris Kwitzer (Adirondack 2015) went 4-for-4 with a double and two RBIs on Sunday for Buffalo against Dayton.
- Anthony Magovney (Watertown 2012,2013,2014) earned his first win of the season on Sunday for Buffalo, tossing six innings while allowing three earned runs and striking out six in the process.
- Mike Kaelin (Albany 2014) tossed three scoreless innings on Sunday for Buffalo, earning his first save of the season.
- Aaron Ashton (Adirondack 2015) went 2-for-4 with three RBIs, three runs scored and a double on Friday for Lindsey Wilson.
- Evan Alderman (Adirondack 2015) went 4-for-6 with two RBIs, three runs scored and a stolen base on Wednesday for Georgia Southwestern.
- Josh Hassell (Watertown 2014) homered for Holy Cross on Saturday against Western Carolina.
- Connor Perry (Watertown 2013) hit a three-run home run on Saturday for Holy Cross and also homered on Wednesday for the Crusaders.
- Tyler Brien (Mohawk Valley 2014) earned his first save of the season on Saturday for SUNY Cortland.
- Christian Santisteban (Elmira 2014,2015) hit a three-run home run on Sunday for Manhattan College.
- Mark Powell (Glens Falls 2014,2015) went 3-for-6 on Sunday for Bucknell.
- Joseph Libio (Glens Falls 2015) went 2-for-3 with a double and 2-for-5 with a double for Florida Memorial on Thursday and Saturday, respectively.
- Garrett Bernardo (Glens Falls 2014) went 3-for-4 with a double on Saturday for Anderson.
- Thomas Kain (Amsterdam 2014) went 2-for-3 with a home run on Wednesday for Lynn.
- Mitch Sewald (Watertown 2014) tossed seven innings, allowing two earned runs and striking out six in earning the win for LSU-Eunice on Saturday.
- JD Osborne (Mohawk Valley 2015) went 2-for-5 with a double and a triple on Thursday for Polk State.
- Anthony Herrera (Mohawk Valley 2015) tossed a scoreless inning in earning his first save of the season on Saturday for Louisiana-Monroe.
- Colin Hawk (Mohawk Valley 2014,2015) went 3-for-3 with an RBI and a stolen base on Monday for Indianapolis. Hawk also went 2-for-4 with two doubles on Saturday.
- Kevin Berge (Mohawk Valley 2015) tossed three scoreless innings in earning the win for St. John Fisher on Monday.
- Matt Pidich (Mohawk Valley 2014,2015) tossed three scoreless innings on the weekend against Virginia, including a scoreless ninth with two strikeouts on Saturday to seal a 1-0 win for PITT.
- Tanner Giesel (Newark 2014) went 3-for-4 with four RBIs and a double on Saturday for Georgia Southern.
- Austin Comesanas (Newark 2015) tossed seven scoreless innings while striking out five in earning his second win of the season on Saturday for Ave Maria.
- Zac Bellinger (Elmira 2014) went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a double on Thursday for the College of Saint Rose.
- Cody Burton (Utica 2014) went 2-for-5 with two doubles and four RBIs on Sunday for UAH.
- Samm Wiggins (Newark 2014) went 2-for-4 with two RBIs and a home run on Friday for Houston Baptist.
- Matthew Thaiss (Watertown 2013) homered for Virginia on Sunday.
- Ernie Clement (Albany 2014) went 1-for-3 with two RBIs for Virginia on Sunday and also went 1-for-3 with an RBI on Saturday.
- Jayson Yano (Newark 2014) went 3-for-3 with two doubles on Sunday for Stevens.
- Taylor Hillson (Elmira 2014) went 2-for-5 with two RBIs on Saturday for Mansfield.
- Taylor Skerpon (Elmira 2014) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored on Friday for Penn State.
- John Razzino (Amsterdam 2014) went 2-for-4 with three RBIs and three runs scored on Sunday for Franklin Pierce.
- Joe Purritano (Amsterdam 2014) went 4-for-5 with a double on Saturday for Dartmouth.
- Ryan Clark (Amsterdam 2014) went six innings, allowed just one run and struck out 10 batters in his second win of the season on Saturday for UNC Greensboro.
- Austin Lueck (Watertown 2013) went 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBIs on Saturday for South Florida.
- Zach Wall (Newark 2014) hit a grand slam on Sunday for Young Harris and went 4-for-4 with two home runs, four RBIs and three runs scored on Saturday.
- Zach Remillard (Albany 2013) went 2-for-4 with two RBIs and a double on Friday for Coastal Carolina.
- Blake Smith (Albany 2012) picked up the win for Morehead State on Sunday.
- Matthew Dacey (Albany 2013) went 3-for-4 with a home run, five RBIs and three walks on Saturday for Richmond.
- Note: There will not be an alumni roundup next week.
For all the latest information on the PGCBL, follow the league on Twitter, @PGCBLBaseball.