The 2012 and 2014 Amsterdam Mohawks pitching staffs were two of the best ever in Perfect Game Collegiate Summer Baseball League history. At the midway point of the college baseball season here in the spring of 2015, this summer’s starting staff is on pace to possibly be even better than those of the ’12 and ’14 championship teams.
Many of the 16 arms that comprise the Mohawks staff are enjoying banner seasons as starters at their respective colleges. Here’s a look at some of them who have served as starting pitchers this spring.
- Caleb Baragar- Jr – Indiana – Currently the ace of the Hoosier’s staff anchoring their Friday night starter role.
- Drew Carlton – Fr – Florida State – Currently their #2 starter, pitching for the past 4 weekends in their Saturday conference game.
- Brian Brown – Fr – NC State –Also their #2 starter and pitching in their Saturday game. He matched up against FSU and Carlton last weekend in a game that the Seminoles and Carlton bested Brown’s Wolfpack 1-0.
- Austin Bain – Fr – LSU – After pitching successfully in relief all season, Bain was elevated to the Tigers #2 starter spot this weekend and started Saturday. He is scheduled to start this SUnday as well.
- Chase Boster – Jr – Marshall – Pitched in numerous roles this spring but this weekend threw a gem in Marshall’s #1 slot on Friday night.
- Mike Wallace – Jr- Fairfield – Starting in different spots every weekend for the Stags, he has now taken over their #1 starter role and was also named MAAC Pitcher of the Week two weeks ago.
- Evy Rubilno – Fr – Notre Dame – Eased in slowly this spring after recovering from sickness, Evy took over the Fighting Irish’s #3 starter role two weeks ago and this past weekend shut down Florida State for 3 2/3 innings.
- Joe Vanderplas – Jr- UMBC- Joe has been UMBC’s #1 starter all season and the left hander has excelled in that role.
- Max Watt – Jr – Lynn (FL- Divison II) – The 6’9 right hander has been Lynn’s ace all season and has put up eye-popping numbers with his mid 90’s fastball.
A look back at the 2012 and 2014 staffs:
- Chandler Shepherd – Kentucky – currently in the Boston Red Sox organization
- Rocky McCord- Auburn – currently a senior and a starting pitcher at Auburn
- Mark Leiter, Jr- NJ Tech – currently in the Philadelphia Phillies organization
- Matt Pirro- Wake Forest – currently the ace of the Wake pitching staff
- Matt Gage – Siena – currenty in the SF Giants organization
- Taylor Martin- Kentucky- currently a relief pitcher for the Wildcats
- Connor Kaden – Wake Forest – currently in the SF Giants organization
- Chris Kalica – St. Johns- currently a starting pitcher for St. Johns
- Ryan Clark – NC Greensboro – currently the ace of their staff
- Taylor Blatch – Florida State- redshirting this spring due to an arm injury
- Zack Brown – Kentucky – currently the ace of the UK pitching staff
- EJ Ashworth – Fairfield – a starting pitcher for the Stags
- Connor Johsntone – Wake Forest – currently the #2 starter for the Demon Deacons and starting their Saturday weekend game